Monday, April 25, 2011

Anzac Day

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.


Coincidently, I have a layout to share that is fitting with today, being Anzac Day.
It contains a photo that I found on the Australian War Memorial website, that I thought may have my Grandfather in it, who served in WW1.  The photo is of a group of men from the 3rd reinforcement of the 45th Battalion - of which my Grandfather was a part of.  The man on the second back row, on the far right, looks alot like my Grandfather....but I just couldn't tell for sure if it was him.

I showed the photo to my Mum, and she too was unsure if it could be her Dad (he had died when she was only 4 years old, so she only has old photos to go by, and even most of them, he looks so different in each of them)....plus the photo on the website was quite small, which also made it hard to get a really good look, to know for sure if it was him.  We decided that we would buy the photo on disc from the Australian War Memorial, and at least then, we'd be able to get a much closer look & hopefully be able to tell for sure if it was him.  The disc arrived in the mail about a week or so ago....and as soon as I got it, I whacked it into the computer & zoomed in to get a real good close up of the man that we thought could be him.  Even though there are many similarities of the man in the photo & my Grandfather, we still can't be 100% sure if it is him or not - as I said before, all the previous photos we have of him, taken during the war, he looks so different in each of them, so that makes it just that little bit harder to actually "know"  whether it is him or not.  Even so, we are pleased that we bought the disc & now have the photo....whether he is in it or not....the photo still contains the men that he served with.....men that would have been his mates.


Using some leftover Basic Grey papers & stickers from my DT pack from Redearth Scrapping
(there is a jounal card in under the photo that contains the story behind the photo & my Grandfather.

TFL & thanks for dropping by :-)

3 comments:

Jasmine S said...

This is fantastic. I just love that pic and your embellies are gorgeous, and what a fab title and story.

Unknown said...

WOW I had tears in my eyes just reading your post Linda! How sad for your mother to lose her father at such a young age and then find this special photo is just an amazing story! I love the way you have scrapped it! Hope you sub this one...it needs to be published! Take care xx

Monique said...

Wow Linda - that is a STUNNING layout - your clusters are beautiful!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails